When choosing the perfect software for your business, there are many different points to consider. Deciding whether to choose custom development or an out-of-the-box solution is a great start, but how do you decide which to choose? Sometimes an out-of-the-box solution will be a good fit for your company. However, don’t let the cheaper prices pull you in just yet. Usually, when nimblesoft meets with a client the 80/20 rule becomes apparent. The research finds an out-of-the-box product that can meet about 80% of the customer needs and the business then needs to find a business or technical solution to fill the 20% gap that is remaining. Here are some details to consider when deciding which is best for YOUR company:
- Lower upfront costs and comes ready to install.
- Responsible for support- there are specific customer support services dedicated to their customers.
- Can potentially improve the way you do business and processes IF you use and work the way the OOTB software deemed beneficial.
- Changing your business processes to the new software can be time consuming for your employees and business.
- Features included that you may not want or need- will cause unnecessary clutter.
- Cost can increase significantly if you are required to pay per user and your company grows.
- Expensive changes or support costs that are not covered by the support agreement.
- Missing needed functionality for the way your business operates.
Custom Software Pros
- Customized and designed specifically for your company.
- Reduction in long term costs.
- No useless features. This software will be designed with your company in mind, therefore no irrelevant features will be included.
- Lower training costs.
- Competitive edge- you will have software designed for YOUR business. No other company will have exactly what you have.
Custom Software Cons
- Can be costly- important that your software partner has level of business and technical knowledge to successfully complete the project.
- Takes longer to develop and implement.
- Quality of customer support can vary. It is important to choose a partner who is reliable for maintaining and supporting the software.
Choosing Your Solution
Though the convenience of an out-of-the-box solution sounds like it could be a good fit, in the end the pros of custom software often outweigh the cons. A solution that is fully customized can save you money in the long-run. At nimblesoft, we have a unique blend of technical and business skills that allow us to take a project from idea through design and development to delivery. We use our experience to create and develop software with all of the features and functionality that your organization needs to be more efficient.